Saturday, February 28, 2009

February 28 2009

My house has the fragrance of an open field of grass, I've smoked it with sage and sweet grass to better prepare me for my new life ahead. When I move from one house to another I like to feel that little touch with my ancestors. I'm only an eighth Cherokee but my father was so proud of this heritage he kept it alive for me and my siblings. He was close to the tribe living Talhequah in his last days. Influence from our elders is very important as humans and as artists. Respecting our past helps us face the future without fear. We evolve and mold our selves with our friends and family as the rocks smooth when they tumble aganst each other in the rivers flow. We become ourselves by the choices we've made, the alleys and paths we've found ourselves traveling. Our being insists that we all express our innermost energy, bring it to light for our followers, our children and our heritage. On simpler terms we must express so anyone will truly know us. So many of my artist friends including me have had difficult childhoods rising to adulthood we struggle to be known and have gained the control of the young person inside. The young child who must have control of something that wasn't allowed in childhood. Now the adult or coming adult acts out or expresses themselves in unacceptable behavior...Controlling something..... When art and creativity could be the very release of the pain and fear that continues until maturity, true maturity and awareness of being and seeing clearly our own path.

This sounds like a bit of a sermon, sorry, but I truly believe that art has saved my sanity and opened my vision to a fuller more expanded thinking of life and dealing with people in the world. I have some pity but not much for people who whine about their circumstances. I realize we must go to our friends for help occasionally but that's not what I'm talking about I mean the guy on the corner who is begging for food, work; something. We have places to help to get people on track if they would take the pride off their back and get on with it. Everyone is creative everyone can think for themselves. It is written to "keep your own council" find a way to make it work for you that is within societal boundaries meaning the LAW. :) Look to art to guide you. SR

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have an art related question?