Sunday, March 15, 2009

Moo

Today's blog is about the process of resin and the addition of it in your work. I've been writing to you about the impetus behind art work or the feelings behind the process. Now let's talk about process of the addition of resin. I don't usually work in resin but I love to experiment down different avenues and this adds a new dimension to my work. The depth I can create with transparency takes my work to another level.
I start on a small format because this stuff is kind of expensive for attempt large surfaces. The work here is only 9" X 10" it creates a little jewel of a collage. It's name is Moo, a little collage. Working with a "fence" around the edge eliminates the possibility of drips and leakage (hopefully). The fence/frame is further protected with simple caulking to close off that possibility. Do the art; the subject matter, the shapes, the painting, whatever your chosen media inside this format.
Then I use a resin that is fairly easy to mix; I bought it at Michael's, not all products are as easy, just make sure that the measurements are absolutely accurate. I had the old trials and lots of errors, the main mistake is to not mix equally and stir more than you think it's necessary. Stir this stuff a full 2 minutes. Once you've done one pouring you will see what happens; sometimes it bubbles, sometimes it stays uncured. these are a sign of improper mixing. With the bubbles you can blow you warm breath over it.
Careful of the fumes.
The sticky layer that doesn't cure will need another pouring; a new super accurate pour on top of the stickyone it will cure properly.
The fumes of the resin is toxic you should always use a mask and mix in a ventilated area. It's a complicated process but in my opion it's worth it. I love the finished product. I take the obvious precautions becasue it stimulates my thinking and it's not just the fumes.
I don't intend to use resin permanently but I like the "look" with some images or collages, it magnifies their impact.
I've also found I look for more three dimensional objects to include in the process. Found objects are a fun addition to any work. It's fun to get outside the usual...... it's definitetely not ordinary.
I would suggest that any artist would enjoy using this process just as another diversion. Our followers and collectors enjoy watching us experiment especially if they are open to experimentation themselves. I think most collectors are experimental and liberal thinkers, they enjoy collecting a professional artisan display a piece with expertise and precision.
Anytime we experiment we will have to do and redo the process until the piece is ready for exhibiting. It is our responsiblity to present our work with the professionalizm we have reached after years of study. Your figures should be accurate, your drawing should be accurate and your skills should be obvious as a painter. Meaning your strokes and colors should look their best. More on this later. Please write and keep in touch. SR

2 comments:

  1. What an invitation-to ask questions, that is! I have several, but one that is pestering me the most at the time is ...
    How can I darken my light peaches and pinks without going brightening them up with red or going muddy with the other colors I have tried?
    Thank you for sharing your wonderful insight with the rest of us.

    you can see my oil painting struggles on my blog...

    www.CarolinaElizabeth-art.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to have left you in the lurch with an answer. I do hope my answer will help even now. When you want to darken a soft color don't reach for a black or brown instead reach for a complimentary color. Reach across the color wheel.
    Since May I've been in the process of moving locations and not having a computer available for the blogspot; while it's no excuse for an emergency, it is a trauma for moving a studio.

    ReplyDelete

Do you have an art related question?